Thursday, March 22, 2012

febrero

I went to Palmar de Ocoa for the weekend in February.  This is the same place I went to one weekend in December.  It was absolutely beautiful with the mountains and the beach.  It was fun to spend time with friends, swim, lay out, etc. We also went dancing at a Colmado in the nearest town Saturday night.  I’m still nowhere close to being as good as a Dominican, but I’m learning!  :)

the view just doesn't get old


amigas

I made sure to be sitting on the dock every day at sunset.


majestic



Las Terrenas is a beach town on the northeastern peninsula of Samana.  It’s known for beautiful beaches and that proved to be absolutely accurate.  We went to two beaches there Playa Bonita and Las Terrenas.  The town of Las Terrenas has a very interesting feel.  Many European ex-pats have settled there and own the local businesses.  We ate a French restaurant and had homemade Italian gelato for dessert.  We stayed in an adorable hostel with livestock roaming freely, recycling (an unknown concept in the capital) and European owners that spoke five languages…all for $10 a night.

the donkey roams freely at the hostel

Fata Morgana hostel

Playa Bonita

Las Terrenas

This little girl was fascinated with putting sand on Matt's legs.


el 27 de febrero



February 27th is the Dominican Republic’s Independence Day.  In ways, it felt like the July 4th-it was hot, and the colors of the Dominican flag are red, white, and blue.  There was a military Independence Day parade.  Although it would have been better if it hadn’t started over two hours late, it was still interesting to see.  February 27th commemorates the Dominican Republic’s independence from Haiti in 1844.

Happy Independence Day!  (yeah, we wore patriotic colors)


mofongo and aguacate...mmmmm

Playa Guibia


el desfile militar (military parade)







Carnaval-Santo Domingo
I spent some time at the capital’s carnaval celebrations on two different Sundays.  There were free concerts in the street, lots of costumes, dancers, parade, etc.  There were similarities and differences to the carnaval celebration in La Vega.

Juan Pablo Duarte play
I went to a play about Juan Pablo Duarte (the father of the country).   While learning more Dominican history, it suddenly hit me that I was feeling oddly patriotic during the play, especially during the triumphant final scene.  I always love embracing and experiencing other cultures and countries.  But, traveling also always increases my appreciation and patriotism towards my home country.  Life abroad often reminds me how blessed I am to be an American citizen and have the rights and luxuries that citizenship provides.  Although I’m still a true Carolina girl at heart, it is for certain that this country now also shares a piece of my heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment