Wednesday, May 2, 2012

March Madness-Dominican Style

I guess I’ve been somewhat of a beach bum lately.  I’ve been to three different beaches the last 3 weekends.  I took a guagua (public bus) for a day trip to Juan Dolio and Guayacanes.  I had been to a different part of Juan Dolio before but not that exact section.  Guayacanes is also a beach to the east of the city, but I had never been there.

I really enjoyed Guayacanes because it was a mix of the empty, secrene beaches and bustling, loud  beaches I’ve been to.  The section of Guayacanes we were in didn’t have any high rises or hotels.  The shore was only lined with little wooden shacks that served fried Dominican favorites.  We had a fresh fish, tostones, and sweet potato (the sweet potato here tastes and looks very different).
Playa Guayacanes
lunch restuarant...sometimes simple is all you need
before
after
delicious!



Puerto Plata is a town on the northern coast that has all-inclusive resorts.  We stayed at a resort and enjoyed the unlimited food, beautiful weather, and fun people.

The bus we planned to take back to the capital was full so we stuck waiting in the small Puerto Plata bus station for longer than expected.  Luckily for us, this happened to be the nicest bus station I’ve been to in this country.  They not only had a tv but also cable.  We politely asked to change the channel and were able to watch the first half of the UNC game before our bus left.  


Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
dinner at the resort
UNC!
We love our Tar Heels!

No comments:

Post a Comment