Thursday, June 21, 2012

Jarabacoa

My friends and I rented a house in Jarabacoa for the weekend.  I’ll have to say this was one of my favorite weekends in the DR.  The house was walking distance from the center of town and added bonuses like a pool and fully equipped kitchen.  Plus, it was only 10 dollars per night person!  We cooked some of our meals together so I finally got the opportunity to learn how to cook mangu!  I have experimented with cooking some Dominican foods on my own, but I had not been brave enough to work with platanos yet. You can check out the step by step process below. 
family style breakfast


We hiked a small mountain called El Mogote.  It was about a 5 hour hike with beautiful views.


El Mogote hike
on the way up
sweaty!

group shot
view from the top
amazing
The clouds came in just as it was time for us to head back down the mountain.
the view as we descended


I also took my friends back to the Coffee factory my family and I went to because it was so interesting!
Cafe Monte Alto
coffee beans drying
so much coffee!
packaging machine

each one of these bags weighs 180 pounds


The steps to make mangu:
peel the platanos verdes
boil in only water with a little salt until soft
mash with a little butter and the water used to boil
Hard at work!  :)

Making Fried Cheese (a Dominican favorite)



Israeli Salad

family style dinner

yum!


We took another hike to a waterfall called El Salto Jimenoa Uno.  This is the waterfall featured at the beginning of the movie Jurassic Park.  As I looked around me I did feel like a dinosaur could pop out of the trees at any moment.  The waterfall and surrounding area were amazing.  
el salto de jimenoa uno
Does it remind you of Jurassic Park?
las chicas
el grupo
beautiful!
It felt like a pterodactyl could fly out at any moment...


Our other Jarabacoa adventure was white water rafting.  We rafted down 13km rapids on the Rio Yaque del Norte. There are no pictures because it wasn’t safe for my camera, but it was so fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment