Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cabarete

What a weekend!  I went to Cabarete, which is a beach town on the north coast of the island.  My friends (other American teachers at the school) and I took the 7am bus to Cabarete Saturday morning.  We were told it was a 2 ½ hour drive.  Five hours laters, we finally arrive in Cabarete.  The bus had to make stops, we had to switch types of buses because there isn’t a nice bus that goes all the way to Cabarete and everyone operates on relaxed island time.  By the time we finally arrived in Cabarete, I was convinced the beach could not be worth the travel time.  However, my mind quickly changed that afternoon.

very nice bus-DR version of Greyhound
We checked into our hotel (2 queen beds, air conditioning unit that was supposed to work), ate lunch, and headed to the beach.  Cabarete is known as one of the top 10 windsurfing and kiteboarding beaches in the world.  Previously, I couldn’t have told you the differences in the two water sports.  The main difference I learned is that your initial kiteboading lesson is 8 hrs and several hundred dollars. Windsurfing is much more affordable, so I took a lesson.  It was really fun, and I was able to get the basics.  I’m not a pro, but I learned enough to really enjoy my time on the water.

pre-lesson
windsurfing beach
Sunday morning we took a van to another beach in Cabarete called Encuentro.  This beach is best for surfing.  I decided I might as well take advantage of the chance to learn.  So, I took another lesson and practiced surfing during the morning.  While I’m a long way from mastering the sport, I was able to surf lots with the instructor's help and a few times by myself.  Surfing is more difficult than windsurfing, but I like both. 

professional surfer...jk
Encuentro beach
Notice that there aren't any pictures of me actually surfing lol
surf board rental hut
For Saturday lunch I had a delicious vegetarian sandwich with fresh avocados, lettuce, cabbage, and cucumber on wheat bread.  Saturday night we had dinner at a restaurant at the beach.  I had fresh fish tacos.  Yummy!  Sunday morning I had the best breakfast yet—freshly cut mango!  (and it costs 75 cents!) 

One more “first”—I rode my first publico.  This is a cross between a taxi and a public bus.  It is always an old, four door car.  The publicos run a certain route like a public bus.  You just stand anywhere on the route and stick your hand out.  The price is always 25 pesos (68 American cents) for anywhere on the route.  You just tell the driver where to stop.  The catch is that they pack as many people possible into the car.  I was literally riding in a car about the size of a Toyota corolla with 7 people and all their stuff.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment