Wednesday, August 10, 2011

La Playa



I went to the beach for the first time on Sunday.  Unfortunately, there are no beaches in the city of Santo Domingo.  You can see the water, but it appears to only be an industrial area.  However, the beach is only a short drive away.  I went to Juan Dolio (about a 45 minute drive).  The beach was nice and not very crowded.  The water was warm but full of sticks, seaweed, etc because of the recent tropical storm Emily.  It was awesome to go to the beach!

the view from my towel

la playa de Juan Dolio

After the beach, friends took me to eat Dominican sushi.  I have to admit I was a little weary of Dominican sushi. I’m not a huge sushi eater, but I was told the Dominican sushi is a must-try.  Two things make the Dominican sushi special: locally grown avocados and plantains.  It was good!
Dominican sushi

1 comment:

  1. That was one of our favorite things in the Dominican - the avocados! Apparently the coffee that they grow in the mountainous area is pretty good too. We wanted to get up there but didn't have time. Have you encountered all of the potholes that are the size of an elephant? Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete