Sunday, August 7, 2011

Mi Vida

Well, I’ve been here almost one week and it’s been filled with lots of firsts.  By February I’m sure this will all feel like normal errands but right now it’s new and exciting.  I set up my bank account for direct deposit and should get debit card next week (this makes me feel much less like a tourist…eek!) .  I also went to the equivalent Wal-Mart called Plaza Lama.  I bought shampoo, conditioner, and hangers.

 I’m also very fortunate the only big, public park is located just 2 blocks from my apartment!  I’ve gone running there twice, and it is great to have somewhere to run.  The park is the DR’s version of Central Park yet the men cutting the grass today were using machetes and some parts of the park are a lot cleaner than others.

Other firsts: I ordered from my first colmado.  A colmado is like a corner store that carries anything and everything.  The unique part is that they deliver anything and everything free of charge.  You can order one egg or an entire dinner.  Since the water isn’t safe to drink due to the cholera break out, we buy the big jugs of water.  I called the colmado and ordered the jug of water and delivered it right to my door. J  While this might sound like it promotes laziness, it is quite nice not to have to carry that huge jug of water down the street. 

I washed clothes in the washing machine here in the apartment and dried them on the clothes line.  The Dominican sun dries the clothes very quickly.

I turned on the stove!  You have to turn on the gas in a separate room and then use a match.  Scary at first but I think I’ve got the hang of it now.

I also went to the pool for most of Saturday.  The fancy hotel across the street has a pool on the top floor.  You don’t have to stay at the hotel to use the pool as long as you buy something to eat or drink.  The funniest part about the pool is that on Saturdays and Sundays there is a DJ that blares music beside the pool. This is the pool (picture borrowed from expedia).


Well, that’s all of my exciting life for now!    Love and miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment